I'm not sure how many of you are fans of cabbage, but this recipe is such a favorite at my home I thought it'd be worth sharing. This particular version of the recipe was given to me back when I was working at a 19th century village museum. Recently I learned that the English do not necessarily follow a recipe, to them Bubble 'n Squeak is made with any leftovers that are on hand. Either way, it's delicious. :)
Bubble 'n Squeak
½ Medium head cabbage, sliced
3 bacon strips diced chopped onion or onion powder
1 cup of ham (cooked and cubed)
1 Tbs. Butter
3 cups baked & cooked potatoes (thinly sliced)
½ tsp. Paprika
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Cook cabbage for 5 minutes until tender, drain & set aside.
2. Cook bacon & onion in a cast iron skillet (or frying pan if skillet is not available)
3. Add ham and cook till heated through
4. Add butter, mix in cabbage and potatoes
5. Season with paprika, salt & pepper
6. Cook until browned on bottom, turn and brown again.
Cooking time: 15 minutes Serves: 4-6 (or 2 with leftovers)