Thursday, July 08, 2010

A Sandwich Recipe


I know, I know, I'm kind of ashamed to post a sandwich recipe. Really, if you can't make a sandwich, you're probably not reading cooking blogs. But this is a really good sandwich.

My husband likes egg sandwiches. They consist of a fried egg, mayo, bread and pepper.

He really likes them. That means if he stops home at lunchtime, we have them for lunch.

BORING!

Meet the California Egg Sandwich. An antidote to the plain, dull egg sandwich. And, it's "healthy". Because it has vegetables. And fruit! That's what I tell myself, anyway. It sounds weird, but it's surprisingly good.

Ingredients
Mayonnaise
Ranch dressing
Tomato
1/4 avocado (or more)
Little pat of butter
2 eggs (I use 1 egg, 1 egg white)
2 slices bread

Directions
Spread mayo on one slice of bread and ranch on the other (or mayo and ranch).

Put slices of tomato on one side and avocados on the other.

Fry the eggs in a little butter. I smash the yolks with a fork and lift the edges of the egg as they cook to let the uncooked egg run underneath. That way it cooks very evenly.

Plop the egg on top of the avocados, close the sandwich, and gobble it up!

1 comment:

Sarah M. said...

Sally, this looks good. It reminds me of our variation on the BLT. Instead of just Bacon Lettuce Tomato on bread we do: Bacon, Egg, Avacado, Lettuce, Tomato -- sometimes even Gouda cheese. Of course you could leave off bacon and the sandwich would still be amazing.