Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Banana Crumb Muffins

I was looking for a recipe to use up my very over ripe bananas. I had several Banana Bread recipies and this muffin recipe. The muffins won the coin toss. They are husband approved so I think I'll be making more in the future. I made a few changes to the recipe which I noted in italics in various places below.


Banana Crumb Muffins

Original Recipe Yield 10 muffins (because of using more bananas I easily made 12 muffins)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed (I used 4 bananas because that's what I had on hand. I did cut out the really bad spots so it was more like 3 1/2 bananas. I made no other adjustments to the ingredients and everything still turned out fine.)
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons (see note about topping below) flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

*note on topping: I guessed instead of measuring the butter for the topping so I had to add additional flour to make it crumbly enough. I think this probably worked out well because my muffins ended up with ample topping.

**from the All Recipies website

No comments: