Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Help for Busy Days

Yesterday I had an unexpected window of time to do some cooking because of a cranky baby needing an extra nap and a toddler happily watching Cars. So I got busy! Here's what I got done:

  • Browned a bulk package of hamburger, made chili in the crock pot and froze the extra in meal sized portions for future meals
  • Cooked unused chicken breast from the bulk package we bought for my dad's birthday meal (see my menu post) using my George Foreman wannabe grill. Chopped and froze meat for future meals
  • Hard boiled eggs for salads and breakfasts/snacks
  • Made jello cups for Nathan's lunches
  • Sliced up strawberries for quick eating

Nathan was thrilled to come home to a hot meal all ready to eat and I was happy to have some freezer cooking done.

I have learned to stock up on marked down meat from the grocery store and freeze it for future use. My grocery store marks down it's meat 24 hours before the sell by date. The time the meat is packaged is stamped on the label. I didn't know what the process was until I asked. I've also learned how wonderful it is to have meal sized portions of pre-cooked meat in my freezer for quick meals.

What ideas help you plan ahead for quick meals or help save money on packed lunches? I always love getting new ideas.

No comments: