Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Chicken Caesar Lasagna

Hi, I'm Sally and I'm new here.

I love to cook, eat, and shop at Sur La Table. I'm a vegetarian but my husband and 18 month old son are not; healthy food is important but taste is paramount; and I'm kind of cheap but will splurge (see philosophy on taste, previous). Quick food is great, but sometimes a great meal will take time and that's ok too... on special occasions. I'm not a good photographer but I love to see what food looks like.

Alison asked me to join after traveling all the way to California and having dinner at my house. Since she liked it, I think I'll lead off with it here.

Chicken Caesar Lasagna
Better Homes & Gardens: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/pasta/chicken-caesar-lasagna/
Chicken Caesar Lasagna

Prep: 35 minutes
Bake: 50 minutes
Stand: 15 minutes
Ingredients
  • 9 dried whole wheat or regular lasagna noodles [NB: I love no bake lasagna noodles!]
  • 2 10-oz. containers refrigerated light Alfredo sauce [If you're cheap, jars work too!]
  • 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
  • 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast*[You can use leftovers, skip this, or use fake chicken, too]
  • 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained [I used fresh]
  • 1 cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, drained and chopped
  • 3/4 cup shredded Italian blend cheese [You can just shred some mozzarella and Parmesan together - I used about a cup or so]

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water; drain again. Meanwhile, in a bowl combine Alfredo sauce, lemon juice, and black pepper. Stir in chicken, spinach, and red peppers.

2. Lightly coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart rectangular casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles in bottom of dish. Top with one-third chicken mixture. Repeat layers twice. Cover; bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Makes 9 servings. [I just baked it uncovered for about 35-40 minutes]

3. *Note: For chopped cooked chicken, season 2 pounds raw skinless boneless chicken breast halves with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add chicken. Cook, uncovered, 8 to 12 minutes or until no longer pink, turning halfway through cooking. Cool chicken slightly before chopping.

Nutrition Facts: Calories 268, Total Fat (g) 10, Saturated Fat (g) 6, Cholesterol (mg) 68, Sodium (mg) 557, Carbohydrate (g) 20, Total sugar (g) 3, Fiber (g) 2, Protein (g) 24, Vitamin C (DV%) 83, Calcium (DV%) 21, Iron (DV%) 8.

I also made Pioneer Woman's Rosemary Rolls and Roasted Carrots (with rosemary instead of thyme, since I was already using rosemary) and some Fresh Express Caesar Supreme and Mediterranean Supreme salads (they were on sale!) I'll get into PW's recipes in later posts...


4 comments:

Dana said...

Welcome, Sally! I like the idea of a "white" lasagna. My allergies preclude Alfredo sauce and I don't know a ready substitute, but I might try something along these lines when I am feeling ambitious (and when it isn't 98 degrees out). Maybe just a white sauce and extra garlic?

Alison said...

I meant to ask you ages ago. What brand of sauce did you use? It was yummy.

Sally said...

Thanks Dana! Are you dairy sensitive or gluten or both? If you're dairy, you could try a white sauce and maybe whisk in some mashed roasted garlic?

And Alison, I'm not sure. Maybe Bertolli or Classico? Those are the two I usually buy.

Dana said...

Both. Ha. Although less so for dairy, so I get away with goat milk products on occasion. Sheep's milk pecorino instead of parmesan, that sort of thing. I thought maybe even a white sauce with unsweetened soy milk would work, if I put in enough garlic. Roasted sounds like a great idea.