Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Black Bean and Corn Soup


Sarah introduced me to this recipe from the Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook. It has been one of my standby crock pot meals ever since. It's fast, cheap and easy. Perfect for those days when I have to work late at the office. I usually assemble it in my crock pot the night before, refrigerate and put in the pot on low all day.

Black Bean and Corn Soup
6-8 servings, it usually serves us plus leftovers for one if we are really hungry

2-15oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
14 1/2oz. can mexican stewed tomatoes, undrained
14 1/2oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
11oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
4 green onions, sliced
2-3 T. chili powder
1t. ground cumin
1/2t. dried minced garlic
Add water if necessary

1. Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Can be assembled the night before.
2. Cover. Cook on High 5-6 hours OR Low all day.

9 comments:

Rachelle said...

Yay! More crockpot recipes please.

Sarah Mehrens said...

OOoh! This is one of our favorites. We make it several times a winter. It reminds me of a vegetarian soup that Panera used to sell. Thanks for posting it.

Dana said...

I don't own a crockpot. Am I not a proper Martha? :)

Rachelle said...

Dana---They are handy things. :)

Dana said...

I guess I'm confused about why this would need to cook in a crock pot for hours. I have a similar mexican chicken soup recipe and it all goes in a pot for 20 minutes. Is it for the convenience of making it in advance?

Alison said...

Dana, You are correct. This could easily be made in a pot on the stove. Just simmer for a while until it cooks down enough to your liking. I almost put a note with the recipe mentioning this, but forgot. Glad you mentioned it. :-)

Rachelle said...

This one isn't a significant cooking time but I have one with chicken that I can use frozen chicken and it cooks in moroccan spices all day.... And if I'm going to be out in the afternoon it is easier to get it all assembled in the morning and have dinner ready when we get home. Which is why I'm on here today....Making this recipe.

Alison said...

Rachelle, Did you end up trying this recipe? Curious what you thought of it.

Rachelle said...

I loved it...and it was easy. I think it will cook faster. 6 hours on high charred it. I added 1 1/2 C water.