Saturday, October 30, 2004

Restaurant Recreation: Guacamole

DOB and his partner sometimes have meetings at a small but intensely popular Mexican restaurant near their office; he loved their (very expensive) guacamole, so I tried to create my own recipe of it to go with today's enchiladas. Now I'll see if I can remember what I put in it.

1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed
1/8 t. Vit. C powder (to keep it from browning without changing the flavor)
1/4 c. finely chopped red onion
1/3 c. finely chopped tomatoes
1/2 t. salt
1 T. plain yogurt (I almost always substitute yogurt for sour cream.)
1/2 t. cumin
a couple sprigs of chopped cilantro (I actually had to use dried, but it would have been a whole lot better with fresh.)

Very good. Wish I'd had enough avocado to make more--there's none left over.

3 comments:

Rose said...

Sounds delicious! I wish that avocados weren't so expensive...did you have a great sale or are avocados incredibly cheap in your part of the country or did you just splurge? (That's one nice thing about a still-small family - a splurge doesn't cost nearly as much overall!)

Queen of Carrots said...

I guess I just splurged. Since my groceries consist basically of fruits, vegetables, milk, and eggs, I feel OK with buying avocados once in a while as a treat.

Amy K said...

Sorry I'm late commenting on this post - I just recently read it. To avoid all the work of dicing onions, tomato, etc., you can just add a blob of salsa to it. Usually I make guacamole by mashing a few avacados, adding a blog of salsa, some minced garlic, and garlic salt to taste. Also, of course, it's good to add a hint of lemon juice to keep it from browning. The thing is . . . in our family we eat it fast too so this is usually not a concern.

It's interesting to note one difference in guacamole from the east coast to the west coast. In the east they completely mash their avacados (to almost a puree). In the west, they leave huge chunks of avacado in the guacamole. :)