Monday, October 24, 2005

Lunches that Travel

Hey, Marthas, rally 'round. We're planning a weekend trip, mostly because Darren has been traveling a lot lately and, since he can't be at home with us, we'll just join him on the road.

Here's what I need: to cut down on food costs, I want to pack breakfast/snack/lunch stuff to take with us. Lunch especially. Sandwiches are okay, but I'm looking for something a little more filling. And we can't be sure we'll be near a microwave, so I can't necessarily heat anything up. Any suggestions?

Also, I need your suggestions pretty quickly, since due to my usual forethought and planning, I didn't think of this until today. Thanks in advance for any help, and fie on you if there isn't any. That's all.

-- SJ

1 comment:

Queen of Carrots said...

Another salad idea would be a chicken or tuna pasta salad.

Pita pockets are a good way to do sandwiches on the road. You can buy all the ingredients (lunch meat, sliced cheese, bag of salad) at a grocery store and assemble them in the parking lot or, if brave and dextrous, on the road. That's what we do when we have an unexpected meal out and are feeling too cheap to eat out.

Our favorite on-the-road breakfasts are bagels with peanut butter and honey; hard-boiled eggs with muffins; leftover waffle sandwiches. DOB can eat anything but cold cereal while driving.