Sunday, July 27, 2008

Homemade Sweet Ice Tea

This recipe comes courtesy of my mother-in-law, Jane M. For some time I've been trying to find the perfect ratio of tea to water to sugar, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Sweet Ice Tea

4 Tea bags (The key is to buy a box of your store brand generic tea. Lipton I find too bitter. The tea I bought was America's Choice brand and just a generic black tea.)
1/2 gallon of hot water
Steep the tea bags in the hot water, the longer the stronger.
1/4 cup of sugar (add more if you like it sweeter)
1/2 gallon of cold water
Refrigerate until chilled to taste - or for quicker refreshment serve over ice cubes.

It's simple, it's sweet, it's delicious!

2 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

We are green tea drinkers, and the same thing is true of Lipton green tea. Wonder why it's the name brand? The store brand tastes much better.

Some friends of ours from the Very Deep South have an iced tea maker, of all things. I still have a hard time getting my head around that one. What's so hard about pouring water in a jar? :-P

Sarah M. said...

Yes, I'm sure green tea works just as well. I'm not as big of a fan of green tea, but I have noticed that I prefer the store brand to the Lipton even for that. Funny. :)

Yes... I used to think I needed a ice tea maker... how silly of me. This works just as well and no unitaskers!