Monday, September 12, 2005

Supper in a hurry

This is a wonderful recipe I just discovered in Mrs. Garvis' excellent little booklet on saving time and money. It takes literally ten minutes from start to finish - prep time included - if you have the meat thawed out, is so easy to fix, tastes delicious, and is very cheap if you get the ramen and cans on sale. I've made it twice in the last week and a half, and it has now replaced spaghetti at the top of my list for emergency I-can't-think-what-to-make-for-dinner days.

Skillet Dinner
1 lb. ground beef (or ground chicken or turkey) [Note: you don't actually need a full lb. I use whatever quantity I have on hand]
1 can corn, undrained
1 can stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 ramen package

Brown ground beef on stovetop. Drain grease; add vegetables, undrained (the liquid will cook the ramen noodles), and add the packet of seasoning from the ramen package. Stir in ramen noodles and stir until cooked, 2-4 minutes. Makes 3-4 servings.

2 comments:

the Joneses said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Rose. I made this last night, when I had one extra child and, thanks to tied-up traffic, no husband until 7:00.

Shying away from the salt content of ramen noodle flavorings, I instead used garlic and rosemary. Very tasty and easier on the conscience. :)

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

Forgive me for asking....what exactly is ramen and ramen seasoning? Marcella, the Netherlands